Announcing the NEW Johnson & Johnson Nurse Innovation Fellowship Powered by Penn Nursing and the Wharton School
The innovation curriculum provided by Penn Nursing will be paired with business acumen, change management and strategic leadership skills development through Wharton Executive Education. At the conclusion of the fellowship,fellows will pitch their innovative solutions with the goal of bringing that solution back to their healthcare system to implement.
- March 23rd 12-1p
- March 29th 12-1p
- March 30th 2-3p
Fellowship Application Details
How is the Fellowship structured?
The JJNIF program is a combination of in-person and virtual sessions, and teams are expected to attend all sessions. The program begins with a virtual half-day kick-off meeting in early June 2023, followed by an in-person 5-day Summer Innovation Institute at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA from June 26-30, 2023. Following the Summer Innovation Institute, there are three 2-day virtual synchronous sessions (one each quarter) throughout the year, and a 2-day in-person closing event at Johnson & Johnson in New Brunswick, NJ, in May 22-23, 2024.
During the fellowship, participants will work on a healthcare problem specific to their health system. Teams will leave each session with homework to be completed at their institution in order to move their project forward and to sustain buy-in and support from their institutional leaders and stakeholders. While two-person teams from each health system are required to attend all in-person and virtual sessions, fellows may invite extended team members from their health system who can help them identify the problem and develop their solutions to attend virtual sessions as needed. The program will conclude with a final in-person pitch session where fellows will describe the problem they are addressing and their recommended solution.
Ten different U.S. health systems will be selected to participate in the upcoming fellowship cohort.
Ten two-person teams from different health systems across the United States will be selected as fellows through a competitive process using an online application. Each team will be composed of a CNO or nurse executive, and a senior nurse leader.
The application will be submitted by the CNO/nurse executive from a hospital or health system who will serve as the primary applicant. The CNO/nurse executive will choose another senior nurse leader from their hospital or health system to complete the team. Evidence of health system buy-in and support from the Chief Executive Officer is required.
The fellows will be selected by Penn Nursing based on the criteria below.
- Be a Registered Nurse
- Reside in the U.S. or its territories or Indian Lands of Federally Recognized Tribes of the United States
- The primary applicant will hold the role of Chief Nursing Officer/nurse executive in a hospital or health system and identify a senior nurse leader as the partner on the team
- This is a team-based fellowship; each member of the dyadic team must commit to working together as a part of the JJNIF program
- Have support and buy-in from the executive leadership (e.g., Chief Executive Officer) and c-suite administrators, including a letter of support guaranteeing release time for the in-person and virtual sessions, and how they will support the development, implementation and sustainability of the innovative ideas within the health system
- Must serve at an institution that is agile and committed to being at the forefront of healthcare innovation
- Both team members must commit to a full year of structured learning, travel, self-study and project activity including attendance at the 5-day summer institute in person in Philadelphia, PA June 26-30, 2023, the closing event in New Brunswick, NJ May 22-23, 2024, and all virtual sessions. Virtual session dates are June 5, 2023; September 12th & 13th, 2023; November 7th & 8th, 2023; February 13th & 14th, 2024. Each day of the virtual sessions will last 5 hours tentatively from 11a-4p ET (the time is subject to change).
- We embrace racial, ethnic and gender diversity and encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds
- Program Kick-OffVirtual 6/5/23
- Summer Innovation Institute @UPenn Nursing SchoolIn person 6/26/23 - 6/30/23
- Virtual Sessions9/12/23 - 9/13/23
11/7/23 - 11/8/23
2/13/24 - 2/14/24
- Final Closing Event @Johnson & Johnson World HQIn person 5/22/24 - 5/23/24