See You Now Podcast
On a daily basis, we trust nurses with billions of dollars of equipment, critical procedures, and our most important assets: the people we love. But they’re doing so much more behind the scenes.
On a daily basis, we trust nurses with billions of dollars of equipment, critical procedures, and our most important assets: the people we love. But they’re doing so much more behind the scenes. More Less
SEE YOU NOW is a podcast that shines a light on the real people changing the status quo in health: from nurses working in labor & delivery, with infectious diseases, and in hospice; to nurse allies in politics, business and tech. Created in collaboration with Johnson & Johnson and the American Nurses Association.
Listen to our Trailer
- In celebration of Black History Month, take a moment to listen to our 100th episode, The Untold Story of the Black Angels, the powerful story of remarkable Black nurses who helped cure tuberculosis, recorded live with the last living Black Angel, Virginia Allen.
Redesigning Work Series: Part 1 - Culture & Mindset
There is no shortage of headlines about healthcare’s challenges. Across three episodes focused on redesigning work, we’ll hear how change is in the air as new models and mindsets are embraced, revolutionizing hiring, mentorship, career planning, and more.
Redesigning Work Series: Part 2 - Workforce
In this second episode of our series on redesigning work, we meet Iman Abuzeid, the co-founder and CEO of Incredible Health, a rapidly growing tech-enabled company revolutionizing the nursing career marketplace.
Redesigning Work Series: Part 3 - Workplaces
In this third and final episode of this series, we hear from four forward thinking nurse executives – Kathy Howell, Chief Nurse Executive, UCHealth, Maureen Sintich, Chief Nurse Executive, Inova Health System, Maggie Swietlik Chief Nursing Informatics Officer, Inova Health System, and Kathleen Sanford, Chief Nursing Officer, CommonSpirit Health.
SEE YOU NOW Episodes
Sort by: Tag
American Psychiatric Nurses Association (1)
Community Healthcare (1)
Environment and Health (26)
Health & Technology (14)
Health Equity / Diversity (39)
Health Systems (40)
Healthcare Innovation (2)
Nurse Entrepreneurs (4)
Nurse Leaders (36)
Nurse Stories (27)
Nursing Associations (3)
Nursing Education (10)
Nursing Specialties (4)
Oncology Nurse (2)
Policy and Practice (16)
Primary Care and Access to It (10)
Protecting the Workforce (16)
Rooting Out Racism in Healthcare (8)
Technology-driven Care (19)
Wellbeing & Mental Health (38)
Women's / Maternal Health (4)
Workforce Diversity (19)
Workplace Culture (18)
- 2024-02-15T14:40:02.827Z| 56 minIn this update, we’re reconnecting with Julius Johnson, DNP, RN, FNP-BC, a Nurse Practitioner, educator, and football coach, for an update on how he’s keeping youth athletes safe on the playing fields, and resharing the Stories from Heart of Health event held in New York City in the middle of the U.N. General Assembly.More
- 2024-02-08T15:00:53.312Z| 58 minRecorded live at the 2023 DNPs of Color conference, hear from five extraordinary nurse leaders who are shifting entrenched power dynamics and blazing new trails of opportunity for nurses of color and the profession as a whole.More
- 2023-12-13T20:03:41.192Z| 55 minFrom our first episode, SEE YOU NOW has been focused on trailblazers, changemakers and pioneers, and our 100th episode features a nurse who embodies these values. Virginia Allen, LPN is the last known living Black Angel, part of a group of Black nurses recruited from the Jim Crow South whose tireless efforts led to a cure for tuberculosis, a disease responsible for nearly 18% of New York City deaths in the early 1900s. This story follows the Black Angels who, for twenty years, risked their lives working under dreadful conditions while caring for the city’s poorest and played a major role in desegregating New York City hospitals along with nursing practice, education, and professional associations including the American Nurses Association.More
- 2023-11-30T19:57:59.992Z| 51 minA choir for nurses, art tours for clinicians, on-demand meditation for all healthcare workers. In this episode, we’re sharing a panel discussion recorded live at Aspen Ideas: Health, hosted by Jon LaPook, MD and featuring Winnie Mele, RN, David Ko, and Eric Wei, MD, to learn how clinical settings are testing support and wellness interventions to boost emotional health and tame the widespread stress and burnout among nurses, physicians and all healthcare providers that intensified during the COVID-19 pandemic and continues to strain so many. Clinical staff are reporting remarkable improvements in morale and motivation from these creative approaches. Effective patient care is best delivered by a compassionate care team, and that means designing programs to heal the healers.More
- 2023-11-15T19:40:03.809Z| 1 hr 3 minIn this episode, recorded in front of a live audience in Chicago at the 2023 American Nurses Credentialing Center National Magnet Conference® and Pathway to Excellence Conference®, nurses shared—in stories and verse—identifying gaps in care, the problems needing attention and solutions, and the partnerships that make us better.More
- 2023-11-02T14:20:05.333Z| 45 minHomelessness across the U.S. is on the rise. The National Alliance to End Homelessness reports the number of unsheltered and chronically homeless individuals and families has climbed ~6% annually since 2017, and an estimated 582,462 people experienced homelessness across America in 2022. Advocacy groups and researchers say a big driving force is the decline of affordable housing, a problem decades in the making but one that has grown significantly worse in the past few years. And when people lose their homes, housing and shelter, their lives, health, and safety become far more complex and at risk.More
- 2023-10-19T15:37:38.313Z| 37 minIn our Meeting of Minds series, we invite you to listen in on conversations between leaders driving innovation in and outside of healthcare. In this episode, Audria Denker DNP, RN, FAADN, ANEF, Juatise Gathings, and Emily Fairchild, ADN, two leaders and a nursing student, compare notes on investing and building opportunity in under-resourced communities while simultaneously achieving business enterprise goals.More
- 2023-10-05T15:53:54.830Z| 47 minIn this episode, we meet Indigenous nurse researcher John Lowe RN, PhD, FAAN, and discover how he is addressing the long-standing structural impediments that have kept American Indian, Alaska Native and Indigenous youth from connecting to their cultural heritage and identities.More
- 2023-09-19T15:45:26.255Z| 34 minIn recognition of the vital link between health and voting and a reminder to verify your voter registration and help others to do the same, we’re having another listen to an earlier episode with public health nurse and Delaware Lt Governor Bethany Hall-Long, where we discover how clinical practice, nursing expertise and research, and voting are critical drivers of influencing, passing, and enacting legislation to keep citizens, our environment, and our economy healthy.More
- 2023-09-07T16:07:30.512Z| 54 minWe’re swapping episodes with our friends at Radio Advisory to hear what they’re learning that can help address pressing workforce issues in healthcare, while Radio Advisory listeners are checking out an episode of SEE YOU NOW. In this Radio Advisory episode, host Rachel (Rae) Woods speaks with Advisory Board's Chief Nursing Officer, Carol Boston, and two leaders from University Hospitals – Chief Quality & Clinical Transformation Officer, Peter Pronovost, and Chief Nursing Executive, Michelle Hereford – about recent data and their experiences navigating the complexity of the workforce vacancies.More
Contact the SEE YOU NOW Team
Questions? Comments? Feedback? We love to hear from our listeners.
Meet Shawna Butler: Host of the SEE YOU NOW Podcast, Nurse Advocate, and More
Shawna Butler, RN, MBA is a nurse economist, health tech catalyst, host of the SEE YOU NOW podcast, and above all—a relentless advocate for nurses everywhere. We spoke with Shawna about her career path, how she leverages her nursing expertise in a wide range of roles, and why she is so enthusiastic about the SEE YOU NOW podcast.
Nurses You Should Know: Helping Change the Nursing Narrative
Nurses of color have long-shaped the nursing profession and transformed healthcare, but their stories are underrepresented in the broader nursing narrative. A new nurse-led project, “Nurses You Should Know,” is using storytelling to help close the representation gap by amplifying their contributions.
A Year of Igniting Nurse-Led Innovation with the SEE YOU NOW Podcast
How has the first year of the SEE YOU NOW podcast series helped amplify nurse innovation? Oriana Beaudet, DNP, RN, PHN, Vice President of Nursing Innovation for the American Nurses Association, celebrates an inspiring and innovative year and shares her biggest takeaways from the series in a new featured article.